Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My Siomai Addiction

Shaomai (also spelled shui mai, shu mai, sui mai, sui maai, shui mei, siu mai, shao mai, siew mai, or siomai) is a traditional Chinese dumpling. It is very popular here in East and South East Asia. Through the years, siomai (I'll use this kind of spelling since this is how it is spelled here in the Philippines) varieties have evolved. From the standard Cantonese filling of ground pork and mushroom - to the exquisite and sophisticated mixture of other kinds of meat (like beef, sea food and chicken) and vegetables.

I personally love them. Here in the Philippines a lot of vendors selling these on the streets like in the picture...

It's a mobile steamer! With either a bamboo or aluminum container, they sell siomai by the bunch! For only 10 pesos you could have 5 pieces, unlimited supply of toothpick and your choice of a dipping sauce. Ususally a combination of soy sauce and calamansi (local lemon) with or without chili.

We have Ministop at my workplace and they sell siomai. I frequently buy a bunch and eat it with rice.



I switch between steamed and fried. I have already tried mushroom, sharksfin, pork and shrimp. They are really good when drenched in soymansi (play with words - a combination of soy sauce and calamansi). I don't use the chili though. See that small packet of orange liquid? That is the chili with a few hot pepper seeds and it's really hot! A drop of it stings!

2 comments:

Yuri said...

those mobile steamers are so neat! how come we don't have those in the states yet? D:

Admin said...

Umm.. I don't think it will look good on U.S. streets. ^^