Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Japanese Food for Lunch

Okay, I didn't eat all of this in one sitting, haha. We have Sakura nearby, it's a Japanese fast food chain. I usually buy something here every pay day. (Haha, I assume you already know why.) This one here is Katsudon.

Katsudon is a popular Japanese food - a bowl of rice topped with a deep-fried pork cutlet, egg and condiments. In my katsudon you see above I had worcestershire sauce and a small service of katsudon sauce in a separated small tub. Katsudon is very special to me because me and my close friends were eating this regularly for lunch back in my college days. Katsudon has a very interesting texture - crispy on the outside and soft and chewy in the inside. Combined with egg, a few caramelized onions and spring onions, it was heaven to me. Since then I have been trying other "don" meals.

Tonkatsu is invented in the late 19th century, is a popular dish in Japan. It consists of a breaded, deep-fried pork cutlet one to two centimeters thick and sliced into bite-sized pieces, generally served with shredded cabbage and/or garlic soup. It is like Katsudon in terms of texture and appearance minus the egg and worcestershire sauce. The Tonkatsu that I had was really crispy and the tonkatsu sauce was really delicious - even on its own! Together with the meal, instead of having miso soup, I had garlic soup!

The soup was okay, it's not too "garlicy". It had a few spring onions, minced sauted garlic and a few onion sheets at the bottom of the cup. By the way, I eat while I work most of the time that's why you could see my keyboard. ^^

I also had this one - Tensildon!

Okay, I am not really sure if this is what it's called. I tried searching it up on Google and wikipedia but I got zero results. Anyway, if this is what the menu says then so be it. Tensildon is like an omelet. It has squid, sting beans, bean sprouts and other vegetables in it fried altogether with some worcestershire or soy sauce. It was good, but not as good as katsudon and tonkatsu but it was really filling. A serving of this could be enough for 2 people but I managed to finish everything, haha. And of course, Japanese food wouldn't be Japanese food if there were no sushis involved. So here they are - California Maki and Mixed Sashimi.


California Maki is a kind of sushi roll, usually made inside-out, containing cucumber, crab meat or imitation crab stick, and mango rolled in caviar. Unlike the traditional sushi, the seaweed wrap is inside. It has a very appealing color. The yellow-orange hue is so pleasing to look at. The sushi chef prepared infront of me and I could say making sushi is an art! I had mine with a little spread on top, I don't know what it is but it makes everything really great! The taste of mango plus the sauce made it even better! The sashimi is also great. In the picture you can see crab stick, tuna, the white stuff is squid, egg, sliced cucumber and shredded carrots. One thing that is good about these raw seefood is that there's absolutely no hint of mercury, and if a sushi is mercuryless, it means it's fresh! How about you? Have you tried Japanese food?



0 comments: